Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Some thoughts on being a third time mom

How things change...

When I was pregnant with Alexander, I was petrified of the delivery, having little idea what to expect besides PAIN. After I delivered him, I wanted to get out of the hospital as soon as possible, and only spent one night in. I was happy to be home where I could at least sleep in half hour chunks in between soothing and/or nursing him.

When I was pregnant with Jack, I was mortified that I would have to be away from Alexander for almost three days while I while I was in the hospital with Jack. Since being diagnosed with the clotting disorder, I was not allowed to leave early and had to spend a total of three nights at the hospital. Oh, how I missed my big boy while I was there. I was so happy to be home so that I could play with him again. Jack even let me sleep in one hour chunks!

Now that I am pregnant with my third child, the post-delivery hospital stay almost seems like a welcome break! Sure, I'll be uncomfortable, in pain, and getting used to a newborn. I'll be poked by needles, prodded by nurses and doctors, and get little to no sleep. Blood pressure monitors will beep through the night. IVs will impede my movement. I'll have to wear inflatable stockings to make sure my blood is flowing properly through my legs. Nurses will badger me about how often and for how long Kai has breastfed, and on which side(s). I'll have to eat hospital food and smell hospital smells and wear hospital gowns. But I won't have to clean anything, pick up after anyone, entertain anyone, scold anyone, enforce rules with anyone, make anyone meals (aside from producing breast milk, of course), and I'll *ONLY* have to take care of a newborn. ONLY?! What planet am I from where that seems like a break?! You may as well sign me up for the loony bin now.

2 comments:

Da said...

So in theory, you're looking forward to having more kids? hehehe. Congratulations with Kai.

Kathryn said...

Ha ha, I felt the same way when I had Kenzie. I was in the hospital for 4 days after I had her, and it was the quietest most relaxing 4 days. Mind you I was in searing pain from the c-section, and pumping constantly for Kenzie in the NICU, but compared to the craziness that followed after we both came home, it was a vacation!