Saturday, March 16, 2013

Fun Food Week

My usual dinner philosophy with the kids is that they should eat what I give them and like it. What I say to them is, "I can't make you eat it, but you're not getting anything else." I make one dinner and they can take it or leave it. If they leave it, that's it for the night. If I am feeling generous I may offer them carrot sticks in lieu of dinner.

I am not, however, a complete stick-in-the-mud. My father-in-law posted a picture of a fun dinner that I had been meaning to try with the kids. Using that as inspiration, I decided to make a whole week (5 days) of fun dinners.

Monday was the spaghetti dogs with mixed veggies.

Tuesday was green eggs and ham with strawberries.

Wednesday was veggie pizza cupcakes.

Thursday was tuna schooners with apple canoes in a sea of goldfish.

Friday was meatloaf cupcakes with mashed potato icing and bacon bits sprinkles, along with plum tomatoes. As a special treat, we had Jello jigglers sundaes for dessert.

The kids loved this week's dinner and ate well. And to be quite fair, they were not complete junk and they were all easy to make. Even my picky eater, Jack, ate every meal except Friday's. This was a lot of fun and we'll definitely do it again sometime.

*Disclaimer: A food photographer I am not.

No comments: