Saturday, April 13, 2013

My Baby is One!

A couple of days ago, my littlest monkey turned one.
I'm very ready to not have an infant, to never again have an infant. I don't long for the nights of 10 awakenings. I don't long for the 45 minute nursing sessions with only 15 minutes in between. I don't miss the projectile poop, or the need to constantly wear a baby. I don't miss getting stuck in my chair for hours on end because the only way my baby would sleep was in my arms. I don't miss the screaming that would occur during every car trip. I don't miss having to tell my older kids to go grab another Smuckers Uncrustable and juice box because I can't get up to get them something real to eat. I don't actually enjoy letting my bathrooms get as dirty as they do when I have a newborn. Showering is something I would enjoy doing more often than three times a week. I could go my whole life without having another baby spit up in my hair, poop on my jeans, or pee on my shirt. (To be fair, all of those last three things were still happening as of this week.) But. But. BUT....

Those teeny, tiny baby toes! The beautiful blue-gray eyes! The milk-comas! The warm, safe feeling of a baby's slowed breathing as he sleeps on my chest! The fuzzy, perfect little noggins! The first smiles, the first laughs, the first steps. The adorable, diapered tushies and perfect little belly buttons! The coos, the snuffles, the bare, pink gums. I don't want another baby, but I think sometimes it would be nice to be able to fall into a remembered moment and enjoy it again and again. When I look at old pictures of my kids, I often want to reach into the picture and give that Alexander, that Jack, that Kai, that Noah just one more hug, one more snuggle.

So, yes, I am more than happy that my baby is now, officially, a toddler. I'm so excited for the adventures that all of us will have together. But there's still a slice of bittersweet pie on this birthday. Just a sliver.

Noah is a sweet, shameless flirt. He often tries to get the attention of nearby strangers with little grunts and noises, like he's saying, "Hey! Look at me! I'm cute!" He makes friends wherever we go. Sometimes I feel a little like the third wheel, stuck in between the flirting!

He's walking beautifully, babbles adorably, and gives tender little hugs. He's finally started eating more foods and only nurses about three times per day. He still hasn't quite figured out the sippy cups. He's ingested a few ounces of water a few times, but most of the time, whether it contains water or cow's milk (which I introduced a couple of weeks early), he tends to suck the liquid into his mouth and then let it dribble out. He's sleeping much better, though, and sleeps through the night probably about half the time now. He's entering one of my favorite stages and I am so excited. Happy First Birthday, Noah Everett!

No comments: