Wednesday, February 18, 2009

4 Going on 14

Today I took Alexander to a Dr. Suess party, an event put on through the county's recreation department. I thought it was a "parent participation" class, but when we got there I realized that I had been wrong. It was in a familiar building with a familiar teacher, so I figured Alexander wouldn't have much of a problem with me leaving, but I was slightly concerned since I hadn't been able to give him any pre-warning. So...

Me: Alexander, it seems like this is the type of class where the kids stay here while the parents leave for a while. So I'll stay for a few more minutes and then Jack and I are going to leave and you'll stay here. Does that sound okay?

Alexander: Oh, yeah, it's okay if you leave.

Me: Okay, I'll stay for a couple minutes and then I'll leave, and I'll be back in just an hour.

Alexander: Oh, Mommy, just leave.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hee hee. They say that preschool and teenage are very similar, and I am becoming more convinced of that every day!

Kathryn said...

LOL. It is amazing how they grow so fast. When I take my Alex to preschool he just runs into his classroom, no "goodbye mommy" hugs and kisses, just see ya!

Anonymous said...

::snickers madly:: Ah yes, I can feel the love from here ;)

It's one of those moments where you have to keep reminding yourself that you *want* your kid to be independent. Although it might be nice if they, oh, noticed when you leave...