Thursday, May 28, 2009

Recipe Test #10

This was the last recipe to test, and was submitted by my brother Matt (of Machinations and Imaginations).

Meatloaf

1 1/2 lbs of Ground Beef or Turkey
1/2 Cup of Bread Crumbs
2 Eggs, Beaten
1/4 Cup chopped onions
1/2 Tsp salt
1/4 Tsp Pepper
1/4 Cup Ketchup
1/4 Cup Water

Directions: Mix thoroughly, pack into a loaf pan. Bake in a preheated 350° oven for 1 hour. Remove any fat coagulated on the edges of the loaf. Let stand for 5-10 minutes before slicing.

Serving Suggestions: The standard, as far as I'm concerned, is to serve the loaf hot from the oven with mashed potatoes and brown gravy. Yum. Leftovers should be served in sandwich form.

You gotta love any recipe that calls for the removal of coagulated fat. ;) I used ground beef and I did serve this with mashed potatoes (love mine with a bit of sauteed onions), sweet corn, and brown gravy (and had a little giggle to myself in the grocery store while I was buying the brown gravy mix about how the gravy was defined by it's color, as in, "Alexander, what flavor ice cream would you like?" "Pink." "Uh... strawberry, raspberry, or cotton candy?" "Pink." "What flavor gravy would you like?" "Brown." Holy out-of-hand tangent, Batman!)

This was a good basic meatloaf. I think the gravy that I used actually overpowered it a bit, and when I ate a few bites that the kids had leftover (repeat after me, "I am not a garbage disposal."), which did not have gravy on them, I got a better idea of the flavor. Twas yum! Another recipe that I would use again. Thanks, Matt!

As for a winner, there are two or three recipes that are vying for first place. I will review my notes, but I may decide upon a cook-off, wherein I will make 2 or 3 recipes at the same time or one after the other so that I can more easily compare them.

1 comment:

PopPop said...

If you make some tomorrow night, I could taste-test the leftovers for Saturday lunch. No sacrifice is too great for PopPop.