Monday, May 25, 2009

Recipe Test #9

Today we did not cook out. Let's be honest: we're just not so handy with the charcoal. ;)

We tested Betsy's recipe for enchiladas!

Enchiladas Con Pollo

2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
2 cups shredded cooked chicken
1/3 cup chopped tomatoes
1/3 cup sliced pitted ripe (black) olives
¼ cup green chiles
¼ cup chopped onion
3 ½ cup prepared chunky taco sauce
12- 6” flour tortillas

Combine ½ of the cheese with next five ingredients. Mix well with 1 cup taco sauce. Add 1/3 to each shell. Roll and place seam-side down n buttered 13x9 pan. Pour/Spread remaining sauce over tortillas. Cover with foil. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Remove foil. Add remaining cheese. Heat until cheese is melted.

That is the real recipe. When I’m feeling lazy, I line a pan with tortilla shells, layer the ingredients and repeat, ending with a tortilla topped with salsa and cheese. I like to brown the cheese. Then I cut portions and serve.


I did this the "real" way, mixing the ingredients and rolling the tortillas. Unfortunately the boys were uncharacteristically picky tonight! I have no idea why. This was not overly spicy at all. They've happily eaten spicier food. They may simply have been full from a late snack, but neither boy ate more than a couple of bites. We'll see how they do tomorrow, as this made enough for two meals for us. Justin and I both liked it, though! I felt like a chef again! Thanks, Betsy!

No comments: