Friday, May 22, 2009

Recipe Test #8

I'm actually a little late writing this one up! We tested this recipe a couple of nights ago, and it came from my dad (aka PopPoP).

Pork Adobo

2 lb pork tenderloin, cut into 1 inch chunks
1 large onion, sliced
1/4 cup flour
2 bay leaves
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
2/3 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup vinegar
1 cup ginger ale
1 small green pepper

Mix ingredients together (except flour), and marinate for at least a day. Add sufficient liquid (ginger ale) to cover meat. After marinating, coat pork lightly with flour, and brown in stew pan or electric skillet. Add other ingredients from marinade and simmer for 1 1/2 hours or until meat flakes.

I cut this recipe in half, knowing that we would never eat 2 pounds of meat for dinner. It was a good decision because 1 pound was just the right amount for us! I had to call my dad on this one while cooking, though! When I got to the part of "Add other ingredients from marinade and simmer," I was a little confused as to whether I was supposed to just add the onions and peppers, or add the liquid as well. My dad didn't answer the phone, so I had to figure it out on my own. *Gulp.* I added the onions and peppers, but there was no simmering going on without any liquid, so I added just enough of the marinade to get some simmering going on. Not sure if that was technically the right thing to do, but it turned out fine that way. I served it over rice, with salad on the side. Unfortunately, I didn't realize it was supposed to simmer for so long, and my kids were getting pretty hungry, so I let them have their salads first and they filled up on that, so they didn't eat more than a few bites of the Pork Adobo. Justin and I liked it and ate it right up, though! It certainly smelled delicious for the hour and a half that it was simmering. I couldn't wait to eat it! Thanks, Dad!

2 comments:

PopPop said...

So how many more recipes are there to go? When will we know the results? Do I get an honorable mention for the best recipe featuring pork? If you are undecided on a winner, just make some of the other recipes when I'm visiting you, and I'll offer my opinion. they all sound yummy.

Beth said...

There is just one more recipe. I may indeed have to have a "cook-off" and cook the top recipes at the same time so that I can compare them side-by-side. So, it may be early next month before the winner is announced. But no matter what, I will give you an honorable mention for best recipe featuring pork!