Monday, May 4, 2009

Avon Walk for Breast Cancer Superlatives

Most of my readers know that over the weekend I participated in the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer. Here's a list of my top eleven (I'm a rebel) favorite things about the weekend.

11. The triumph of walking 39.3+ miles in one weekend.
10. Successfully locating the parking garage and shuttle to Opening Ceremonies after getting briefly (but panic-inducingly) lost in DC at 5AM Saturday morning.
9. A burly man wearing an extravagant pink tutu who volunteered as a crossing guard.
8. A hot shower, in a truck, at the end of day one.
7. The energetic, hard-working, and caring youth crew who were too young to participate by walking, but who wanted to make a difference also. Not only did they crew the entire weekend, the 20 of them raised over $11,000.
6. Samoas at mile 25.
5. A man dressed as a cow who showed up frequently along the route and repeatedly cheered the walkers along, telling us that we were "udderly awesome," leading group stretches while we waited to cross intersections, and regaling us with cow-related humor.
4. Being greeted by Aunt Eileen and Ginger cheering for me and all the other walkers at the National Cathedral.
3. The fact that the rain held off until Sunday.
2. Coming home to my guys after a long day and a half of missing them.
1. Personally collecting $3,545 and collectively raising over 6.8 million dollars for breast cancer awareness, research, and programs.

My least favorite thing about participating in the walk? BLISTERS. Thankfully, they're very temporary.

The weirdest thing about participating in the walk? Being cheered for like a rock star. I was just getting some exercise. Y'all are the ones who deserve the cheers! :D Thanks again to all my supporters. I'll be sending out a full recap of the event to all my donors. :D

3 comments:

Daddy Dude said...

Great job! I am in awe of you. I can't wait to hear all the details.

Kathryn said...

I have to say, you are amazing for doing that, it almost makes me tear up. LOL. It is just beautiful to see strong women supporting each other. :-)

Justin said...

You rock, we're all very proud of you. :-)