Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Mommy Wisdom 6-9-2009

As a parent, I often over-analyze things. I like to plan fun, educational, stimulating, enriching activities for my kids. Often I succeed, although occasionally I lose my pep. Today's activity was, however, not designed to teach my kids anything or enrich their lives in any way. It was designed to get them to leave me alone so that I could make dinner (incidentally, I was making Becky's Pizza Bake). Out of pure desperation, my eyes darted around the kitchen looking for anything that might entertain them and I blurted out, "Do you want to play with water?" I gave them each a few plastic bowls, cups, and measuring spoons and some water, and they were easily entertained for twenty minutes! Now, if you think that the water stayed only in those cups and bowls for more than a minute or two, you've probably never met a child, let alone raised one. But let's just say that my floor needed an excuse to have water wiped up off of it, so it was beneficial in more than one way. What is it about water that fascinates children so?

3 comments:

Kathryn said...

Oh wow you are brave! I can't get my kids out of the water. Collin has flooded the bathroom like 3 or 4 times in an attempt to "wash his hands" or "brush his teeth". LOL. It drives me mad!!

Oh and yes, we should plan a pool playdate sometime! Though it may have to be in July sometime, my brother is getting married at our place July 4th, and until then it is craziness around here trying to get ready. :-)

Becky said...

Pizza bake...yum!

I clear the sink at dinner to let my girls play in it all the time! If you add dish soap bubbles, you can get at least another 10 minutes!

PopPopeye said...

Arrghh. Their PopPop be a Navy man; water be almost as important as coffee. I've sailed the seven seas, and seen rain squalls in the South China Sea that would take the paint off your mizzenmast quicker 'en anything. I've seen thunder battles in the Mediterranean that lit up the choppy waters like the sun. I've seen waves wash clear over the foc's'l and send green water crashing against the bridge windows. Arrgghhh, I've seen...oh wait, it's time for me meds.