Monday, February 15, 2010

An Interesting Vocabulary

In order to keep tabs on Jack's progress with his speech, I thought it a good idea to see how large his vocabulary has gotten lately. I knew he was far above the 30 words he had when he started speech therapy 5 months ago. I figured he was nearing 100 words. Over the past three days or so I've been jotting down whatever words he uses, along with words that I simply know he's used before, counting only spontaneous utterances. I was surprised and pleased that his vocabulary is now well over 200 words, nearing 225. I did have to laugh at some of the words included in his 200 word vocabulary. He has a lot of the basic words you'd expect a two-year-old to know, like, "up, down, one, two, three, bye, Mama, Dada, eat..." Then he has some that are a little weird but not too shocking, like, "battery, Batman," and "knight." And then he has a few words that I wouldn't really expect from someone who only knows 200 words, like, "attack, shadow, Luigi, growing, Halloween," and "shoot." Really, should a kid who doesn't even say "hello," or "cat," or "bed," really know the word "attack?" Really???

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't forget bone and raaar! Not that raaar is a word :P

Anonymous said...

::snicker:: Well, it's nice to hear his vocabulary is growing ;)

I have no idea why I'm laughing at you. Can you *imagine* what Barak's first words are going to be?

Any bets on how soon he's going to learn "sushi"?

Beth said...

Oh yeah, and I forgot "Vader," ya know, as in Darth... yeah.